We represent a number of municipal government clients, and work closely with the elected officials and staff of those municipalities.
We act on behalf of municipalities in:
- municipal governance and jurisdiction
- drafting and enforcement of municipal by-laws
- tendering and procurement
- land use planning and development issues
- labour relations and employment
- property tax and tax sales
- inter-municipal agreements
- municipal election procedures and irregularities
We also regularly represent municipalities in litigation and in disputes before the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board.
We have worked with the Province of Nova Scotia in a review of the Municipal Government Act and with the Association of Municipal Administrators in developing and drafting model by-laws and policies for municipalities across the province. We have been asked to make presentations to several municipal organizations, including the Association of Municipal Tax Collectors, Association of Municipal Administrators and the Fire Service Association of Nova Scotia.
In addition to our municipal clients, we also represent developers and individuals dealing with development, zoning and other planning issues within municipalities.